As the new leader of CCNY ACM’s Game Development group for the Fall 2013 - Spring 2014 year, I decided to experiment with the ImpactJS Game Engine after being exposed to it in Fall 2012. I decided to begin working on a simple platformer game in late July, based on Super Mario World. My motivation was to create a skeleton game which others could build on top of, and to produce a well polished game at the end of the Fall 2013 semester. Once our Game Development club meetings started, I assembled a team of 5 others and development began.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Coin / Life System
- Heads Up Display (HUD)
- Expansive Item System
- Dynamic camera system
- Enemy Artificial Intelligence
- Development of Powerup System
- Level Design / Overworld Design
- Checkpoint system for saving progress
- Gathering of assets (Musical, Graphical)
- Development of wide array of player abilities
Challenges and Experiences
Upon completion of the game, we deployed our project for our fellow club members to enjoy. With all the skills learned from building Super Mario World: Koopa Krisis, our team moved towards building a far more challenging game.
This project would not have been such a huge success if not for my teammates and their major contributions. Links to their respective profiles can be found below.